in 1943 the treasures of the cathedral
got fully restored into a cave underneath the “Altenburg”.
On the 19th of April in 1945, Quedlinburg was occupied by the American
Troops. The US Lieutenant, Joe Meador, acceded the custody of the
cave. This soldier knowing a lot about art history recognized the
worth of the treasures in the area under his command. He succeeded
in sending a selection of 12 items via field postal to Texas in
the United States.
In 1980 Meador died and his heirs tried to sell the looted art on
the international art market. After a long legal conflict in 1992,
10 of these items were allowed to get transferred back to Germany,
where they got inspected and exhibited in Munich and Berlin. After
that these items went back in the collegiate church “St. Servatius”.
There the treasures of the cathedral can be shown nearly completely,
but two of these looted art items are still missing.